Monday, October 8, 2007

Wiki

I may not direct patrons to wikipedia for information, but I do use it myself. I do a monthly Ask A Question Board at the main library and it is often on odd or catchy questions that I try to answer. I usually check out and then verify the info from wikipedia because it often has one or to weird facts that I didn't find elsewhere in my research.
As I was reading about using wikis, I thought that maybe I should have used the wiki format instead of the zoho planner when displaying online the Reference Programming Guide. Since I do a bunch of programming at the library, I constructed a guide about my experiences and the ins and out of hosting a successful program. I also opened up a few folders for fellow reference staff to post upcoming events, program ideas, and program outcomes....as well as edit the program guide itself. But since the information is just for the main ref staff, a wiki would not be appropriate after all.
Another consideration would be for the Monthly Fiction Writing Group to use a wiki to post their writings, critique online, and ask questions. The moderators of the group set up a facebook page, but most of the group has not set up an account or had reservations and/or problems with getting their home computers to work with facebook.
So overall it is nice to have another avenue to display info online and I love the section about the library being the community go to point online- we should do that for charleston county!

No comments: